Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Traditional Eggplant Parmesan Cookbook and a "famous person" Vegan MoFo



When my girls were very young and money was particularly tight I stumbled upon a YouTube channel called “Great Depression cooking” it’s a  channel  for making simple yet delicious meals on the budget  even using found foods like dandelions. The star is a 90 year old great grandmother; Clara Cannucciari and while she isn’t vegan and neither is her cookbook she stole my heart reminding me so very much of my paternal grandmother I’m grateful her grandson made the channel as my own grandmother passed away years before and it brought back wonderful memories.
  Indecently many of the recipes in her book are vegan by simply omitting of parmesan cheese or subbing vegan.  One of my favorite recipes is her Eggplant Parmesan  served with her DiMaria Family Sauce(pg94) we got fancy and added follow your heart vegan mozzarella and pamesean. and served it with a third attempt at making vegan gluten free red lobster rolls garlic rolls. (Still working on this one.)



Some other recipes we love from her are swiss chard and garlic(over pasta), pasta and peas, both of these work fantastic with rice as a gf alternative or even just a more whole food alternative.

While simple I've enjoyed all of her recipes and if you are looking for a bit of history and some simple budget meals I highly recommend her channel and book! Sadly she has since passed away but it's still a lovely place to stop on the web.

Rice and Peas with nooch







1 comment:

  1. Her channel and cookbook both sound very nice, and the eggplant parmesan looks great!

    ReplyDelete