Sunday, September 9, 2018

Vanilla Oat Custard


          Today's prompt was to create something creamy without nuts. Thankfully I'd made some lackluster rice pudding from left over rice from our sabbath dinner. It was fine, nothing special and normally I’d probably have just left well enough alone except I saw the prompt and though this would be perfect opportunity to improve the dish.

          As I mentioned on day one my daughter is now gluten free and so I’ve been experimenting with oat flour which is fairly inexpensive for something gluten free that I can make myself. I had this left over as well and all I did to make this cream sauce was  to take 1/4 c oat flour mixed with 1cup of plant milk of choice we used unsweetened plain soy milk a small splash of vanilla extract and 2 tbsp. sugar, I simmered it while stirring on the stovetop until it was thick and creamy you of course can adjust sweetness to your liking and use less or more milk for desired thickness.  Easy peasy and it brought my 3star rice pudding up to a 5star!

No comments:

Post a Comment