Tuesday, September 1, 2015

MoFo day 1: Rise and Shine it's breakfast time!


 Alas my plan to blog through August was thwarted by a faulty camera battery charger and now a broken laptop cord. Thankfully I’m able to use Jeremy’s computer, and I’ve replaced the camera charger so I can participate in Vegan MoFo! This is my second year and I’m really looking forward to reading everyone else’s posts!! I won’t have a set theme like I did last year which is a little sad,  I had such fun wondering though the culinary world of Harry Potter last year but the daily post prompts made a set theme a tad tricky. So we are going with the flow and who knows maybe we will work in a few wizarding posts that we didn’t get to last year.



Day one!  Rise and Shine its breakfast time! Peppers and “Eggs”(Tofu scramble) sandwiches and sausage. Everyone loves this, when Jeremy is home we usually have hash browns also.  In full disclosure we more often than not have oat meal and fruit, savory oats, congee (wonderful recipe in Kathy Hester’s cookbook  OATrageous Oatmeal ) or even leftovers –my favorite is soup for breakfast.  Something like this would be reserved for a weekend brunch or even for Dinner. That said the girls and Jeremy would happily have this many times a week. Some other variations are blueberry pancakes/waffles, the sausage, and spicy country potatoes-or- a fully loaded garden chickpea omelet, the sausage (Are you seeing a common theme?) and country potatoes.   

 I’m not going to give an actual recipe for the eggs and peppers I’m still adjusting the spice to get it right but I am including the recipe for our sausages I hope you like them as much as we do!!



Our favorite breakfast sausage.

 ~Makes about 7 english muffin sized patties.
Ingredients:
  • ½ c. TVP
  • ½ c. Boiling water
  • ½ tsp. Better Than Bouillon vegetable base –optional
  • ½ c. Oats ground into flour
  • ½ tsp. Fennel Seeds
  • ½ c. Quick Oats
  • 2Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
  • 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
  • ½ -1 ½ tsp. Rubbed Sage
  • ¼ tsp. Black Pepper
  • ¼ tsp. Salt
  • 1/8-1/4 tsp. Cayenne
  • ½ tsp. Liquid Smoke
  • 3 tbsp. Tamari
  • 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
  • 1 tsp. Kitchen Banquet and browning sauce
  • oil for frying

Method:
1. Add ½ cup TVP into a medium bowl. Boil ½ cup water, stir in ½ tsp vegetable base, remove from heat and pour over tvp. Let sit 5 minutes.

2. While TVP is sitting add a generous ½ cup of oats and the fennel seeds to a blender and blend until a smooth flour.

3. Add remaining ingredients aside from the oats and oat flour to the bowl with the TVP. Mix well. Add oats and the oat flour, if you are not a huge fan of sage start with the lower amount and add more to taste, we use the full amount  mix well. It will be a sticky paste (2nd picture in collage).

4. Add oil to pan, enough to plan fry. As you can see in the bottom collage picture I went over board that was pretty wasteful and I normally don’t use near that much oil, BUT use however much you wish. 

5. Turn the pan on medium/high. And form patties to whatever size you like,it helps if you have a little cup of water to moisten you fingers to prevent the mix from sticking to you and not the patty.  You can also make little link shapes but you need to be careful when flipping that they don’t fall apart. Add to the pan as they are made, in the bottom picture you can see how brown I let mine go before flipping these are not burned at all, if you leave out the browning sauce from the mix err on the side of caution and flip sooner, as this really does effect the color of the finished sausage.
Set on a plate w/ paper towel until all the patties have been cooked. Enjoy!!  

See you all tomorrow!


7 comments:

  1. These sausages sound delicious. I'm not sure what browning sauce is, but I'd like to try and make them. We blogged about breakfast sausages too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's used to darken gravy, soups and sauces it has a hint of flavor but if you leave it out it won't effect the outcome aside from color! I hope you like how they turn out if you try them!

      Delete
  2. Looks great; I'll definitely have to try the breakfast sausages sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Hope you like them as much as we do!

      Delete
  3. keepin this one in mind for a weekend brunch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, that sausage looks perfect! I'm so excited to see what you have in store this MoFo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flavor combo sounds great. I have some TVP I need to use up.

    ReplyDelete