Wednesday, September 9, 2015

MoFo day 9 , two family recipes.







Welcome back! MoFo Day 9’s prompt was most retro-recipe, this was a hard one for me.  I was looking around online and there was a variety of scary jell-o dishes to be tried but I would never normally make something like that so we are going back in time to the mid-80s not very retro I’m afraid but I don’t want to waste food.  Growing up my maternal grandmother used to make a huge vat of potato soup when my aunt and cousins came to visit, as well as a few other times of the year but it wasn’t nearly often enough and it was always gone way too soon.   

Sadly I don’t have a recipe that simply wasn’t how she did things so I’m working from memory. The ingredients are basic: oil, onion, potato, salt, a ton of paprika& black pepper& dry parsley, a dozen eggs, chicken bouillon, water to fill pot and sour cream to serve. Italian flat beans could also be used in combination to the potato or as a replacement.  I add garlic powder to mine but I honestly don’t know if that or minced garlic was a part of her version.

When the soup was done she was crack eggs into the simmering soup pot careful not to crowd or mix so that you’d end up with whole poached eggs, one per bowl. Considering this is a vegan blog I won’t be using eggs and I won’t be using tofu to try and substitute I am however going to use dumplings.  I realize that’s not an egg substitute it is however my second favorite thing that she used to make, and covered the shape that the poached egg has. Feel free to omit the dumplings the soup if more than fine without them.

Grandma's Potato Soup!


Ingredients:
Soup:
4c Water Plus more to refill pot after it’s boiled down.
2.5 Tbsp. Paprika
1 Tsp Black Pepper
3-4Tbsp Dried Parsley
½ tsp. Garlic Powder
1 ½ tsp Better than Bouillon No Chicken Soup Base
3 Medium/Large Potatoes diced on the larger size
2-4oz. cut frozen green beans Italian if you can find them

 Dumplings:
1 1/3c. All-purpose Flour
¼  c. Semolina Flour
2 tsp. (Heaping) Baking Powder
½  tsp.  Salt
¾  c. soy milk
1tsp. Vinegar
Vegan Sour Cream

Sauté onion in enough oil to prevent sticking or broth/water if you avoid oil. When the onions are browning add 4 cups of water and remaining soup ingredients bring to a boil reduce to simmer and let cook 30 min. Add more water if needed.


In small bowl mix soy milk and Vinegar, let sit, mix dry ingredients, add “buttermilk” and combine it should be fairly thick but not dry add to soup by the tablespoon and let cook 10 minutes.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. The dumplings sound like a great addition to the soup! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo and the soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup sounds yummy, and dumplings in soup totally reminds me of food I ate growing up.

    ReplyDelete