Tuesday, November 1, 2016

MoFo Day 1, Favorite food





Not long ago my 11 year old lamented that because I cook by taste 90% of the time she would grow up and never get to cook the meals she grew up eating. She looked so sad so we decided together that we would start a family cookbook so she helps me taste and adjusts spices while recording the ingredients.






Anyone who has spent any real time with me “in real life” knows I love soup. I would happily eat it daily even in the heat of summer; unfortunately my husband is not on the same page. In fact he eats it rather grudgingly and only on request during the gravest of illnesses.  Unfortunately for him our two daughters are team soup all the way.   

Often times I will make soup for Sabbath Pot Luck  that way I get to branch out from the limited list of ones I can make when he is eating dinner with us. Recently he requested rather out of the blue; corn chowder. I’d never made it before and being honest couldn’t tell you the last time I’d had some, perhaps when I was waiting tables at Victoria’s kitchen which seems like a life time ago (14years?). So on the 9th of October I got cracking with my first ever batch and I’ve made it 3 times since in part to be sure it would be blog worthy but largely because he actually loves it. I’ve made it Creamy and basic and once in the instant pot which was fine but a touch strange and a bit “Smokey” flavored and I’m not including that recipe here.  This soup is great but being a family of 4 there is only so much corn chowder you can eat in one month and I put a ban on it until December. Maybe I’ll make it for potluck before then? 
How ever often you chose to chowder make sure to serve it up with some  of House Vegan's oh so tasty Biscuits fresh from the oven!

When soup is on the menu he does suggest one of the following:
& Hot and Sour Soup which will be blogged later in the month.


Without Further ado Corn Chowder 2 ways :

 

Basic Corn Chowder

Ingredients:

  • 2 medium Onions diced
  •  3 stalks of celery sliced
  • 7 cloves of Garlic minced
  • 1- 1 ½ tsp. Thyme
  • ¼ tsp. Black Pepper or to taste
  • 1c. diced sweet peppers color(s) of choice  
  •  2-3 large carrots  quartered and sliced
  • 2 pounds of Potatoes peeled and cut into 1 ½ inch piece
  • 5 c. water or vegetable broth
  • 1Tbsp. No chicken  soup base (if you used water not broth)
  • Pinch- ¼ tsp cayenne
  • 1Tbsp Paprika
  • 1large or 2 small bay leaves
  • 1Tbsp. oil (optional)
  • 2 14.5oz cans organic sweet corn

Method:

  1. Sauté onion and celery until translucent using oil or water to prevent sticking. Add the garlic, sweet peppers, thyme and black pepper cook 1-2 min until fragrant.
  2. Stir in water and remaining and remaining ingredients apart from the corn bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let it simmer 30-40 minutes.
  3. Test to make sure carrots and potatoes are fully cooked.  REMOVE bay leaf!
  4. Use the back of your spoon to mash a bit of the potatoes against the side of the pot, add corn stir and let simmer 1-2 more min, adjust seasoning if necessary and enjoy!!

Version 2- Creamy Corn Chowder:

  • 3 Tbsp.  Oil
  • 3 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
  • 2 c. Unsweetened Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
  • ½ tsp. Onion and Garlic Powder(optional)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:

  After following the above basic corn chowder recipe it’s time to make the creamy white sauce for the creamy-style corn chowder.
  1.   In a separate sauce pan heat oil to medium high heat.
  2. Add to the pan stirring vigorously I highly suggest using a whisk.  This would be a good time to break out the sifter and sift the flour first. I’ve only done it this way once so I can’t say you have to but it’s not a bad idea if you want to be certain to avoid weird little clump dumplings.
  3. Fry the flour in the oil for around 3 minutes, stirring the whole time, don't allow it to get too hot, reduce heat if it starts to stick!
  4. Add Milk and continue to stir constantly, allow the sauce to gradually thicken, and should be at desired thickness when it gets to a rolling boil.
  5. With a wooden spoon slowly add the cream sauce to the pot of soup stir very well until fully incorporated and the soup thickens add additional garlic/onion powder salt or pepper now if needed.

Enjoy!!


Either way you chose  to have your chowder do yourself a favor and serve it with House Vegan's  absolutely divine :

Perfect Fluffy Biscuits

2 comments:

  1. Both versions look great; thanks for sharing the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! I hope you enjoy it if you try it!

      Delete