Friday, September 5, 2014

Post 5; A Bac*n sandwich the TbLT

“Up! Get up! Right now!”

Harry Potter woke with a start as his Aunt Petunia rapped hard on the cupboard door.

“Up!” She screeched. Harry heard her walk into the kitchen and the clang of a frying pan being set on the stove. He closed his eyes, trying to remember his dream. It had been a good one, there was a flying motorcycle in it, and he felt like he’s had the same dream once before.

“Are you up yet?” Demanded his aunt impatiently.

“Nearly,” said Harry.

“Well, get going, I need you to watch the bacon. So help me, if you burn it, you aren’t eating. Everything must be perfect on Duddy’s birthday.”




No children were forced out of bed and threatened in the making of this dish, however everyone was happily fed and in search of seconds. 


I’m not sure yet if I’ll be posting over the weekend I’m going to try to but it’s the first weekend since the muggle children started school for the year and who knows how far adventure will take us! 

Have a lovely weekend if I’m not back till Monday!


TBLT


Tempeh bacon:


8 oz. Tempeh sliced into very thin slices

4 Tbsp. Maple syrup

4 Tbsp. Tamari

1 Tbsp. Tomato paste

1 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar

2 Tbsp. sesame oil          

1 ¾ tsp. Liquid smoke

¼ tsp. garlic powder


Sandwich fixings:

Bread,  toasted if you wish

Tomato slices

Lettuce

Vegenaise, mayo like spread of your choice, smashed avocado or none.

Method:

Mix all ingredients aside from tempeh very well.  Lay tempeh in dish and cover with marinade, chill for 2 hours or overnight.


Preheat oven to 300F, line baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer tempeh to sheets far enough apart that you can flip. You can sprits or brush with oil if you wish bake 15 min or until browning flip and bake another 7-10 or until crisp and dark brown.


When tempeh is done Toast your bread add Vegenaise I like a thin layer, a TON of lettuce, tomatoes and as many slices of  tempeh bacon to cover slice of bread. 



                                                                         Dig in!

6 comments:

  1. I've had Tofurky tempeh bacon before, but I think it would be fun to try making it myself. Your recipe seems nice & simple! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not in a particularly veg friendly location. We have one store that sells Tempeh I haven't seen any pre-made yet though if I do I'd like to try it!

      Delete
  2. [ Smiles ] Any type of vegan sandwhich is good enough for me.

    Also, thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! I hope you enjoy it if you try :)

      Delete
  3. I used to always make my own tempeh bacon, but lately I have become a bit more lazy and started buying it. I feel a bit remorseful about this, but also happy for the extra time and fewer dirty dishes. Still the homemade stuff always tastes best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I would likely buy it to try if it was available here, I agree most things are better homemade though our local co-op has a tofu marinade recipe I'd LOVE to get my hands on. I've gotten close a couple times but theirs is always superior to my own. ;) I'll get it one of these tries.

      Delete